Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 1 box Dreamfields healthy carb elbow macaroni
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin purree
- 3 TBSP flour
- 3 TBPS butter
- 2 cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 cups cheddar blend shredded cheese I used 1 cup 2% sharp cheddar / 1 cup 3 cheese blend
- 1/4-1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper more or less depending on your heat preference
- salt and pepper
- ( optional ) flat leaf parsely for garnish
- First start off by boiling your macaroni noodles to package instructions, drain and set aside. Next, start your sauce by adding 3 TBSP butter and flour to a pan and stir until the flour is mixed with the butter.
- Next, pour in 2 cups of reduced fat milk to the flour mixture and whisk until the flour is smooth and the milk is starting to thicken.
- Then add your dry seasonings to the milk mixture with some salt and pepper and stir to combine. At this point your milk mixture should be able to coat the back of a wooden spoon and then you know it is ready for the next step.
- Next, add your 2 cups of cheddar cheese to the mixture and stir until the cheese is is starting to melt.
- Then I like to fresh grate my parmesan cheese in and continue to stir until the cheeses are all melted into the sauce.
- Once the mixture is all combined and the cheese is melted add in the can of pumpkin puree and stir until blended.
- The cheese mixture should look like this at this point and I always check it for seasoning to see if it needs more, salt, pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Next, add in the noodles and stir until everything is coated and the mixture is combined.
- Next, simply transfer into serving bowls and you can top this with anything you like. I used flat leaf parsley, but you could top with crispy pancetta, turkey bacon or anything else you like. :)
- I of course served mine in my last blog post project of carved pumpkin bowls and they were super cute and great for entertaining over the fall holiday!
- Here is the white pumpkin version and they are so easy to make and fun to get the family involved in the kitchen with you!
- This mac and cheese recipe is so delicious I could not stop eating it and I hope you love it as much as my family did.
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply