Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce I used the brand Frontera - it has a fresher taste and better ingredients
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 of the can (15 oz) corn drained
- 1 medium orange bell pepper seeds out and chopped
- 1 pack 8 oz corn tortillas cut into small squares
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese use more if you like
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 green onion - scallion chopped
- 2 TBSP non fat greek yogurt I add it to a ziploc bag and snip the corner to drizzle over the top
- 1 avocado cubed (my daughter loves to add this)
- 2 TBSP cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper
- Place your two chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and season them with salt and pepper. Then add in your onion, corn, black beans and bell pepper on top of the chicken breast.
- Next, add your chicken broth and red enchilada sauce all over the top of the chicken breasts and vegetables and then stir to combine.
- Place your slow cooker on low for 4 hours and let it cook until you get to 3 1/2 hours and by then your chicken should be done and tender. Once the chicken is ready, pull it out and shred it with two forks and then add it back into the slow cooker.
- Then, place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker, add in 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese and the corn tortilla squares and mix to combine.
- Then top the chicken enchilada mixture with the rest of the Mexican shredded cheese and let it cook another 30 minutes.
- The chicken enchilada mixture will look like this after the 30 minutes and will be ready to serve!
- I simply add the chicken enchilada casserole into serving bowls and put the toppings out for everyone to add what they like. This is an easy and delicious recipe and I hope your family loves it as much as mine does!
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply