Turkey Lasagna with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 pieces mild turkey sausage out of the casing
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 TBSP falt leaf parsley
- 1 part skim riccota cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 block mozzarella cheese grated on cheese grater
- 1-2 TBSP extra virgin olive oii
Tomato Basil Sauce
- 2 28 oz cans San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes blended until smooth in a food processor or blender
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TBSP flat leaf parsely
- 2 TBSP fresh basil
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoing
- 2 TBSP butter
- salt and pepper
- For the Sauce- Add the blended cans of San Marzano tomatoes and all the other ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Once the sauce has simmered take out the garlic cloves and discard. ( I sometimes make this the day before and leave it in the refrigerator) This is a great go- to sauce for other recipes as well.
- Then add the olive oil to a large pan with the onion and sausage links out of the casing to the pan and start to break up the sausage with a wooden spoon. Once the sausage is cooked add in the ground turkey, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Once the turkey is no longer pink add in the parsley and mix well to combine.
- Next, add in most of the tomato sauce but reserve about 1 cup and simmer the sauce with the turkey mixture for 30 minutes. Then turn the heat off and set the sauce aside to cool.
- While the sauce is cooking boil your lasagna noodles for 8 minutes and then drain and lay on a clean kitchen towel to stop them from sticking.
- Then in a mixing bowl add in the ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan cheese and parsley and mix well to combine.
- Then all you need to do is build your lasagna, start by adding some of the reserved tomato sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. Then add your noodles, topped with the turkey mixtures, cheese and then repeat.
- Next, after the top layer of noodles are on, top them with the rest of the turkey mixture and then top that with the mozzarella cheese. I like to also sprinkle the top with some more parmesan cheese and then cover it with foil. Bake it at 375 degrees for 25 minute and then take the foil off and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Once the lasagna is warmed through and the cheese is slightly browed, remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes to set.
- Then simply sprinkle a little more basil over the top, cut into squares and enjoy!
- This recipe is so delicious and you can make it a day or two in advance and then bake it before serving.
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply